About Secret Hitler IO
You can contact the developer at chris.v.ozols at gmail dot com. Want to contribute to this open source product? Check out the github page and issues - any accepted pull request will get you a cool teal name!
Application originally designed and developed from the board game by Chris Ozols. Due to a fairly complicated UI and text-driven gameplay this application is not mobile-optimized, but should work OK on mobile devices in theory. Source code available at github. Bugs/issues? Contact me via email, discord channel, or open a github issue.
Your encrypted password is securely stored and is not accessible by anyone. Your user name or any chats you've made is not publicly accessible and not indexed by search engines. Moderators have access to see your IP address on a private moderation panel - this is used solely to guard against cheating and is never publically available.
- Email addresses are used for ONLY the following actions: verifying your account, and reseting your password.
- In no circumstances will your email address be used for anything other than the above including any sort of mass "email blast".
- Only administrators have access to see your email address.
- Your email address will never leave the site/will never be given away or sold.
Don't cheat. Don't be a jerk/excessive abusive chat. Don't collude. Don't try to turn away newbies from your games. Don't attempt to circumvent things like not being able to select text from the gamechat or screenshotting/uploading your role. Don't leave an ongoing match unless another player has left, been removed, or has been AFK for at least 3 minutes. No TOR users. No homophobic/racist/sexist/nazi/anti-semitic stuff i.e. no hate speech, this includes words like "retard". Public game chat must be in a language that all players know. Play to win for the team you're dealt. Be a good loser and a gracious winner. Have fun!
Usernames must not consist of ethnic slurs, religious intolerance, or content that is pornographic, obscene, or abusive. Usernames that do not adhere to these rules may be toggled to private-games-only or banned by moderators, however, memey usernames such as "HutlerDidNothingWrong" or "dickbutt" are probably OK. If you wish to sign up with a username that is not allowed, please do us all a favor and toggle on "Private game player only" when setting up an account.
While some leeway may be given at moderator discretion, private games are still subject to the above site rules. Private games are not really private in that anyone can observe them, but only seated players and moderators can see chat. If you are here only to play private games and desperately need to call people NSFW things in chat or name yourself inappropriately, please make sure you check the "private game only" option when signing up, or convert yourself to that option in the game settings screen.
Secret Hitler is designed by Max Temkin, Mike Boxleiter, Tommy Maranges and illustrated by Mackenzie Schubert.
This game is attributed as per the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.
This application is built with:
React, Redux, Sass, SemanticUI, SocketIO.
NodeJS LTS, Express, Pug, Passport, Mongodb with Mongoose, SocketIO.
Alterations to the original game
- Minor image alterations and editing.
- Veto power is slightly adjusted so that chancellors need to select a policy prior to saying yes or no to vetoing that policy.
- Adapted the rules webpage slightly to account for online vs physical play.
- There is an option when players make a game to "rebalance" the 6, 7 and 9 player games - 6p starts with a fascist policy already enacted, 7p starts with one less fascist policy in the deck, 9p starts with 2 less fascist policies. Players (and results from analyzing statistics) have noted that these game modes are the worst balanced and not fun to play with the original ruleset.